Friday, May 6, 2011

Continuing around the world.. destinations: Europe & Asia

Hi All,

I'm continuing to use the ground beef (I know I promised meatballs, but I ran out of time) with spinach, onions and garlic I made on Tuesday.  Tuesday was Indian, Wednesday was Europe and Thursday was Asia.

Europe:  I went to Italy and made Calzones!  They were as delicious as I'd hoped..  I made basic tomato sauce modified from Mario Batali's recipe.  He used Thyme and I used basil and added crushed red pepper flakes!  Added sauce and parmesan cheese to my ground beef until it was moist!  Used refrigerated 9" pie crusts cut in half for 2 calzones.  Put in the meat mixture, egg washed the pinched sides and top.  Sprinkled the top of the crust basil, salt and pepper and baked.  Once baked golden brown, a little sauce on top!

Asia:  What a disaster!  I bought Thai Kitchen Panang Curry Sauce.  I love Panang sauce!  I took a Thai cooking class a few years back and learned to make this sauce.  First, buying anything in a jar vs making it yourself.. not a wise decision..  But the sauce wasn't the problem!  Actually, the taste wasn't the problem either..  I heated some meat mixture,  added the sauce and some rice noodles.. The color was hideous!  The spinach turned the panang sauce green!  It was the ugliest dish I've ever seen!  Next time, no spinach to the meat!

So, I've done Asia, Europe, No America.  I've got So. America or Africa.  Why or?  I'm running out of meat and time!  Tomorrow celebrating Mother's Day with my Mom!  Sunday:  Mother's day: I'm taking the day off!

My most honest food critics are back next week!  Don't have any meal planning ideas as of now.  Send me some ideas, please!   Also, please continue to post comments to the facebook page!  Can't wait to hear what you guys think!

Facebook Link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foodie-Mom-on-a-Budget/219392891406455


Happy Mother's Day to all Mothers, Grandmothers & women who make a difference in our lives!

Talk to you soon.
T

No comments: