Friday, May 27, 2011

Foodie Weekend in Santa Monica!

Hi All,

I haven't done much cooking this week.  Last weekend was my anniversary and my hubbie and I went to Santa Monica for the weekend.  We had AMAZING food!  Saturday afternoon, we had a seafood bonanza with our friend Hunter at the Blue Oysterette on Ocean Avenue.   We shared lobster mac-n-cheese, yellowtail ceviche, steamed clams, oysters rockefeller and oysters in the 1/2 shell (6 from east coast, 6 from west coast).

I never realized the difference in taste and texture on Oysters.  Some were soo salty, you feel like you did when you were a kid and drank your first ocean water... but at $3 an oyster.. you don't spit it out, you say to your newly sophisticated self.. "Smile and swallow quickly".  Sorry, I'm a "sweet" oyster girl.. even better, stuff it with something and bake them, as in the oysters rockefeller.

Lobster Mac-n-Cheese:  need I say more.    The ceviche was truly delicious and was probably my favorite!  My opinion on clams.. toss them in some olive oil, garlic and some pasta!  But they were delicious.

So that night, dinner at Boa Steakhouse (which just happened to be adjoined to Blue Oysterette).  The bone-in filet mignon was amazing.  I had mine with Cabernet sauce and I was in heaven!  Mac-n-cheese was a disappointment.. bland, flavorless..   Bok Choy was good.  3 peas were ok.  The steak was the star of the evening and rightfully so!

Next morning was breakfast at Huckleberry's.  I had the Huevos Rancheros.  I order this at every new restaurant.  I think it's a good test of their food.  I mean it's a true test of basics.. Eggs, beans, salsa and a tortilla of some kind.  Huckleberry's was totally bland.  The eggs were fluffy, but the beans, salsa and tortilla were just blah.  No flavor, no nothing... Totally forgettable.

The wonderful food was only eclipsed by the wonderful company.

Till next time.  Follow me on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foodie-Mom-on-a-Budget/219392891406455

T

No comments: