Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Pork + Mexican = Magic .... (I hope)

Hi All,

Sorry to all the vegan/vegetarians out there that might stumble across my blog today.. This weeks menu is Ode to the Pig!   One thing about me that I've known my whole life is that I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!  As far back as I can remember, my mom has mentioned that I was Italian on the outside but mexican on the inside!  

I was watching a new to me program yesterday on public broadcast television (as I do everyday) called Pati's Mexican Table.  She made a dish called "Chilorio"... the link is http://patismexicantable.com/2010/04/chilorio.html.  Amazing sounding and looking, one of those times you wish for Smell-o-vision in HD!   Let me say I love PBS cooking shows.. East meets West with Ming Tsai..  Lidia's Italian Kitchen... Mexico: one plate at a time!!  Love it!

But I regress.. this is foodie mom on a budget and my goal to make one protein and keep it interesting throughout the week.   After Chilorio, then Carnitas by broiling and crisping the meat, Tostadas, Tacos maybe even Enchiladas..  WHoo HOo... I'm only a week behind Cinco De Mayo!

Most important, what's the spin to actually get my kids to eat it??!  Pork, OJ and tortillas!  Three things they actually eat!   I try not to get my hopes up when it comes to what they eat.. Sometimes your so sure they'll love it and they look at you like "Seriously?".   Other times, you just put it on the plate and say a little prayer for a quiet dinner and they actually eat!

Taste test time... Last night I made Tofu "mayo"..  I've got a four letter word for it.... YUCK!  Sorry, I'm trying to like tofu.. but I just cant get past the taste..   I had a master plan to put it in egg salad to slip in a bit more healthy.. didn't even try.. I just sliced the eggs and put them on top of their buttered pasta..   By their measure it was a success, I even got requests for seconds from both of them!   Lesson Learned: KISS.. Keep It Simple & Success!!!  (hahahaha,, I crack myself up)

Hopefully, I'll have some great reactions to share with you tomorrow!  Thank you again for the support.. Please "like" the facebook page and share your comments!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Foodie-Mom-on-a-Budget/219392891406455

K.I.S.S.!
T

No comments: