Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grilled Flank Steak & Refried Beans.. the day after

Hello All,

Sorry for the late post.  I had the pleasure of spending most of my day among great company at Old Town Cooking School in Pasadena.  We learned how to create new twists on traditional Passover meals.  The aromas were amazing!  After class, we (a wonderful couple and myself) got to have a tasting of the treats our instructor Deborah created.  Wow! The brisket: Amazing!  The Matzo-balls were fluffy and wonderful.  I'm looking forward to trying a few of these recipes next month during Passover.

Dinner last night was delicious!  Thank goodness.. I was afraid (as my dear friend Dave pointed out) this would be a blog of cooking failures.. I'll start with the refried beans.. I soaked over night and then cooked them with some salt pork until soft,.  Then I mashed the beans.. I hate to waste food (especially expensive food that made the should-a/could-a saved list) and melted the leftover manchego cheese into the beans.  I tasted them and was like Yes! They are Great! Everyone will love them.  My dream came to an abrupt end when both of my girls gave them thumbs down..  My hubbie and I loved them and I quickly chalked up their dislike to their underdeveloped sense of taste, which yes only applies to the food they don't like..

The Grilled Flank Steak was amazing.  I've decided to have a few traditions in my generally untraditional family.  One of these traditions involves Grillin' Saturday!  My hubbie loves to grill, so my meal planning will include this opportunity for him each Saturday.  I marinated the flank steak in pepper, olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and red wine vinegar.   It was tender and delicious.  Remember to let beef (or any meat except chicken) come to room temp before cooking..  I didn't even try to give it to the girls and instead gave them chicken patty sandwiches,  handy in a pinch & create the occasional quiet dinner.

Tonight: Yes this is a two-fer posting.. I made Chicken with Cous cous.. Ms J renamed it to Chicken Coo-Coo..  Then she went on to liken my cous cous (made with chicken buillion) to tasting like clay..  Eventually after what seemed like an eternity, Ms J ate her chicken, 1/2 the cous cous (thanks to dad) and only 1/2 her carrots (thanks to mom) stuffed inside a pita shell.  This would be Thumbs Flat.  Lil'Chef A ate everything and gave the cous cous a Thumbs Way Up!

The should-a/could-a saved: Nothing
The Verdict: Whoo Hoo on both accounts
Do Over: Yes and continue to tweek

Tomorrow: Menu Plan for the week & French Lentil Soup