Monday, March 21, 2011

Meal Plan for the Week

Hi All,

I've spent the day pouring over cookbooks and downloaded my newest app.. Cooks Illustrated!  I'll be using my first recipe from them tomorrow night, so I'll let you know how it goes.  I've got a 14 day free trial window before the $36 for a year subscription.. Yikes! Not part of the Budget!

Here is the menu plan for the week. I'll post recipes or links to the recipes if available, the day after I cook the food with the review to let you know if it's worth the effort and expense..   If you'd like the recipes before I post (or if I don't).. please let me know.

Tonight: French Lentil Soup..  This is an attempt to use the bag of lentils I picked up a few months back thinking "hmm, I'll try those".  Well here is that try..

Tuesday: Red Beans & Rice with Andouille Sausage...I have been dying for authentic red beans and rice since I left Phoenix.  There was a place called "Voodoo Daddy's Magic Kitchen".. Unreal.. it was one of those places where you wished that your pants had an emergency rip cord so you could eat more!

Wednesday: Pork Chile Verde - probably serve with warm tortillas, cilanto, sour cream.. it needs a side or veggie.. not sure what to add here.. I'll walk around the produce market and pick up something and build off of that..

Thursday: Leftovers

Friday:  Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Salsa & Tsatsiki...is it Friday yet?...

Grillin' Saturday: BBQ Halibut Steaks with Tossed Salad.  Trying to eat more fish. Wish me luck!

Pasta Sunday: Slow Roasted Tomato and Garlic Sauce with Linguine..

A tradition that we had in my house when I was growing up as we had Sunday Pasta.  Every Sunday, my dad would get up early and start his sauce.  All day it would simmer and the house would smell un-believeable by dinner time... That was usually when neighborhood kids would show up and ask to eat over..  I'm going to start this with my own family..

This is culinary exploration week!  My chance to cook the things they won't touch no matter how much chocolate was at stake!

Here's the grocery list:

Baking
EVOO

Breads/Bakery
Bread, Pita, 1 package

Canned Goods/Soups
Chicken Broth, 3 cups
Tomatoes, Diced (canned), 1 14oz can
Vegetable Broth, 4 cups

Dairy, Eggs & Cheese
Butter
Feta Cheese
Yogurt, Greek, 1 1/2 cups

Deli
Chicken, Rotisserie

Fruits & Vegetables
Basil, Fresh, 1/2 c
Bell Pepper, Green, 1
Carrots, 1 c
Celery, 1 1/2 c
Cucumbers, 2
Garlic, 9 cloves
Lemon Juice, 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
Lettuce, 2 heads
Mint, 1/4 cup
Onion, 1 large & 3 med
Onion, Red, 2
Onions, Green
Parsley, Fresh, 1/3 cup
Thyme, Fresh, 1 tsp
Tomatoes, Cherry, 1 1/2 pint
Tomatoes, Roma, 15 med

Meat/Seafood/Poultry
Bacon,
Halibut Steak, 2
Pork Roast, 2.5 lbs
Sausage, Andouille, 8 ounces

Pasta/Rice/Sides
Beans, Red Kidney, 1 bag dried
Lentils, 1 bag
Rice

Spices/Sauces/Seasonings
Bay Leaves
Black Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Cumin
Garlic Powder,
Oregano, Dried
Paprika
Rosemary, Dried
Salsa Verde, 1 16oz jar
Salt
Sugar
Vinegar, Red Wine


No comments: