Saturday, March 19, 2011

Honey Apricot Chicken & Lemon Rice... the day after

Hello All

Last night was a dinner disaster! I started my honey apricot chicken in the crock pot hours before.. where did I get this recipe, so you don't suffer the same fate as my family.. from Crock Pot cookbook I got from my mom; who gave it to me because she didn't like anything she'd made from it.. I know should have been my first clue Sherlock, but I regress.. It was from a chapter called "Five Ingredients or Less".. (2nd clue Sherlock).. The 5 ingredients were honey, dried mustard, chicken, broth and apricots. All I could think of was is my dear friend Dave saying "eww, fruit and meat. Never a good combo!"..

As for the Baked Lemon Rice Pilaf.. The recipe called for the basics of any rice.. 2 to 1 ratio liquid to rice.. with some lemon juice and lemon zest.. However, somewhere in the 50 minute baking time.. it occurred to me.. Why am I baking rice for 50 minutes when I could have just cooked it on the stove for 20?? Trust me when I tell you, it wasn't worth it! It was mushy, tangy and just plain wrong.

The should-a/could-a saved: The Entire Meal! Fortunately, nothing but the $2.50 in dried apricots weren't already in my cupboard.


The Kids Opinion: Ms. J was the first to come to me with the "thumbs down" face and beg to be done. I should have known how bad it was when I told her that there would be no dessert if she didn't eat.. and she happily agreed to be away from the plate. I thought I can't be as bad as that.. Sadly it was. I took it way from Lil'Chef A before I could damage my foodie's love for food.

The Verdict: From the words of my 3 year old grand-niece Maddie "Dhat's Nasty"!
Do Over: Not in this lifetime!
Tonight's Adventure: Grilled Flank Steak & Refried Beans (from scratch)

No comments: