Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ham with Brie & Papaya in a Pita?

Hi All,

Confession time: Don't get excited.. I live a quiet domestic life.. Being a foodie mom on a budget, my local Ralphs was having a sale on 2 lbs boneless precooked hams.. So, instead of buying the 4 lb ham I had to cook myself.. I decided to save some time and money and bought 2 hams as my week of recipes called for 4 lbs of ham..

Instead of making the ham with the oranges, I made the ham sandwiches with brie and papaya.  The recipe called for honey and tortillas.. but I had left over hummus and pitas so I thought, "I'll give it a whirl".   It was delicious!  Cut the pita in half, smear in some hummus, layer ham, brie, ham and papaya.  The papaya really blended well with the brie! It wasn't sweet or pungent, it was well balanced (as she says in her best FoodTV voice).    I can't wait to tell my dear friend Dave that fruit and meat, ok in my pita!

I served it with a wedge salad.  I knew my hubbie would be working late, so I made 3 slices of bacon: 2 for the salad and one to quality check, very important ;) .. Some cherry toms and a new dressing that I totally recommend.. Buffalo Blue Cheese Dressing by Old Cape Cod.  I picked it because it was on sale and cheaper than bottles of blue cheese that were smaller.  It has a bit of "Hey this 5th bite of salad might have some heat".  I think I will use it on blue cheese stuffed turkey burgers this weekend... "Ummmm turkey burgers": Homer Simpson style.

Tonight: Leftovers.. Already you might ask?  That's how good it was.  And anyone who knows me knows that ever since that college biology course when you study bacteria.. I don't do well with leftovers..  But I'm looking forward to another wedge and sammie! On second thought, maybe I'll have it for lunch to cut back on some of the fridge hang time (ie bacteria breeding time) EWWW!..

If I do have leftovers for lunch, then tonight is Penne with Ham, Peas (K's fav) and Oregano... Oh BTW: I bought a packet of dried Oregano (you know where they hang in little packets on the wall in the Int'l Foods aisle) for $0.51 compared to the $3.50+ for the small bottle.  I'll let you know how it goes!

That's all for now folks!
T

No comments: