Thursday, April 7, 2011

Mac-n-Cheese w/Ham..

Hi All,

Last night I made Mac-n-cheese with Ham.  No, this was not some made from a box, yellow powder "cheese".  This was milk, cheddar, swiss, sour cream, ham & pasta = deliciousness on a plate.  Ms. K had 3 helpings!  Ms. A liked it and my dear friend Dave took some home, even though he had a car full of food from his Mom.. Thanks Dave for the support!

Even Ms. J said it was "kinda good".. which is amazing because that kid doesn't eat anything that even hints that it has a sauce!  Since 4 mo's old, Ms J will not eat anything that might be construed as messy... No syrup with pancakes, ketchup on the side, plain pasta, etc.  I must admit, this might be a genetic trait as I hate cake & ice cream on the same plate, eggs and pancakes must remain separate and even cookies are not dunked in milk (unless it's biscotti and coffee)....

For this week, my ham recipes are done!  Leftovers for the next few nights, then something for my hubbie to grill on Saturday and something Italian on Sunday.  I think tomorrow I'll start my "Red Beans & Rice" for the party on Sunday.

Tip of the Day:  I've started to compile tips and tricks into a single place as a springboard to my culinary journey.. One tip that I shared with my friend Megan that I've seen on a several culinary shows is when you chop an onion and intend to serve raw (salsa, hamburgers, etc).. Run the chopped onions under cold water for a few seconds in a strainer.. this removes some of the acid that burns your nose/eyes and some of the overpowering sense of onion in anything!

I'm working on ideas for next week..  Possible ideas: Meatballs or Slow Braised Pork..

I've been forgetting the Should-a/Could-a Saved, Verdict & Do-Over part of my blog.. Silly Me..

Should-a/Could-a Saved:  Nothing, pretty cheap!  Note: I didn't buy shredded Swiss (couldn't find it)..  So I bought swiss sandwich slices and cubed 6 slices for 1 cup of Swiss..

Verdict:  Wonderful

Do Over:  Yes, but next time different cheese (maybe Gouda/Mozzarella ?) and different protein (maybe smoked turkey?)

That's all for now folks!
T

No comments: